Game making is not something I ever thought I would undertake, and it’s a process that has been far more challenging than first anticipated. There are far more components to creating a game than I ever truly realised, and each had a set of their own challenges, and obstacles I needed to overcome. Throughout this entire process, I did, however, learn that it is absolutely fine to scrap something that is not working, something that was needed many times when creating my game.
In the past, I would have done everything possible to make it work, even if there was no solution. Game making has taught me that having a failing component is not the worst thing. The pros and cons of each individual ship, the original shape of the board, and even the way the shipwreck tokens were used have either been scrapped, or redesigned, due to feedback I received in the playtests.
That said, the most difficult aspect of game making, thus far, has been creating the game rules. I had an idea in my head what I wanted the game to be and how I wanted to explain it. Writing the rules though proved to be an incredibly frustrating process. That said, you can read the rules of my game, Shipwreck Cove, below.
After putting together my first prototype, including writing up a sheet of rules for my game, ‘Shipwreck Cove’, I felt confident heading into my first play test. I thought I had created a draft of a game that would work well…. that turned out to not be exactly true.
Following last week’s blog for my game, ‘Shipwreck Cove’ (previously known as ‘Treasure Cove’, and will more than likely undertake a number of name changes), in which I outlined my initial draft of the game board, and the different components I wanted to add, prototyping has continued.
After thinking up 10 game ideas, and deciding to go forward with my pirate themed game, “Treasure Cove” (again, I will most likely change the title again), I went forward with beginning to create a prototype. Even with a lack of any sort of drawing skills, I managed to create a very rough draft.
For this initial prototype, I chose an A4 piece of paper, a dice, 4 cards, and some meeples (to stand in for the ships each player will move around the board).
I’ll be the first to admit that I am not the most creative person, especially when I’m asked to think on the spot. So, when I was asked to name 10 games, in 10 minutes, I mildly freaked out. Eventually, I managed to think up 10 games, although, it’s safe to say that some seem far more promising than others.
Brainstorm of Initial Ideas
Over the last few weeks, we, as a group, have been tasked to create a game. An overly enjoyable process, my individual contribution to this overall process (design & pitch presentation) changed slightly as the weeks progressed, and this was simply due to the departure of one our group members 2 weeks in. That said, Callum and I were able to roughly break up the responsibilities evenly. Continue reading
In my last blog post, I outlined the story & narrative of the group game that we currently creating. The focus of this post will be on the on the mechanic and rules of our game, ‘Sitcom!’.